Summer is here and our French bulldogs are as heat intolerant as ever. We explored Pinterest in search of easy DIY doggie treats that will keep our furry friends cool and entertained during the hot months.
Here are our top 5 DIY Frozen Treat picks. Fun, easy to make and so delicious looking. I’m honestly tempted to make them…for myself.
We hope you enjoy preparing them and encourage you to post the final product on Instagram and tag @EthicalFrenchie. We would love to see it!
1. Watermelon Dog Treats By Bark and Biscuits
• 2 cups seedless watermelon pureed
• 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
• 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Puree seedless watermelon in a blender.
- Chop parsley
- Place mold on baking tray. If you are using the paw molds, first insert a small piece of parsley into the bottom then add a thin layer of plain Greek yogurt. Freeze for one hour. Next, fill the remaining mold with watermelon puree. Freeze overnight or at least 4 hours.
- For the dog bone mold, add a piece of parsley to the bottom of mold and spoon in a layer of watermelon puree. Freeze one hour. Next, add a layer of plain Greek yogurt. Freeze one hour. Finally, add another layer of watermelon puree and freeze overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Keep frozen until ready to serve.
2. Frozen Fresh Breath Treats
• 5 ounces plain Greek yogurt
• ¼ cup fresh mint
• ¼ cup honey
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend thoroughly.
- Using a silicone tray, fill the cavities about ¾ full.
- Place in freezer for about 2 hours or until frozen all the way through.
- Give to your dog for fresh breath and a great treat that also aids in digestion.
3. Bone Brothsicles Frozen Dog Treats by Dalmatian DIY
• 1 cup unseasoned bone broth
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt (see tips) or suitable alternative
• 1/2 cup lactose-free milk or suitable alternative
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. *If you are using a thick-style yogurt, you may find it helpful to start with the yogurt and incremental add the liquids for easier mixing.*
- Spoon into a silicon mold or suitable substitute and freeze
- Wait 3-4 hours or until fully frozen before removing from the molds
4. Frozen Apple and Blueberry Treats by Molly Says
• 1/4 Cup homemade unsalted chicken broth
• 1/4 Cup water
• 1/4 Cup blueberries
• 1/2 Gala apple
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, mix together your unsalted chicken stock and water.
- Wash your fruits and slice your apple into small pieces.
- Add a couple apple pieces and a couple blueberries to your silicone dog bone molds.
- Fill your silicone dog bone molds up with your chicken broth/water mix.
- Freeze for about 3 hours.
5. Coconut Oil Brain Booster Treats By Proud Dog Mom
• Coconut oil
• Almond butter
- Melt a few teaspoons of coconut oil, either in a double boiler or the microwave for quick convenience.
- Coat the bottom of each mold in a silicone tray with coconut oil.
- Add a small amount of almond butter to each mold.
- Add a blueberry to each mold.
- Fill the remainder of each mold with coconut oil
- Freeze for 15-20 minutes.